The truth is that today 1 in 6 couples has trouble conceiving. In general, 1/3 of infertility issues are female, 1/3 male and 1/3 are unexplained.
A diagnosis of infertility challenges is given after a couple has been unsuccessful in their attempts to conceive for a year.
Female infertility is when the infertility challenges lie within the female.
Causes of Female Infertility:
- Cervix Problems
- Damaged reproductive system (fallopian tubes, uterus- PID, polyps, endometriosis, medical illnesses, infections, scar tissue and birth defects)
- Ovulation (hormonal factors, cysts, weight, stress, menstrual cycles, drug & alcohol use)
- Abnormal sperm (abnormally developed testicles, inflammation of the testicles)
- Low sperm count (diet & exercise, use of illicit drugs, alcohol use, genetic problems, infections)
- Ejaculation problems (premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, retrograde ejaculation)
- STD complications
- Starting a family later in life
- ICI- intracervical insemination
- ICSI- intracytoplasmic sperm injection
- IUI- intrauterine insemination
- IVF, ET- invitro fertilization, embryo transfer
- GIFT- gamete intrafallopian transfer
- ZIFT- zygote intrafallopian transfer